What is estrogen dominance?
Estrogen dominance by definition is the accumulation of too much estrogen; this can occur in both men and women, however, women tend to see this at a higher frequency. In women, this can be levels of estrogen present that can outweigh levels of progesterone that would usually help to maintain balanced hormonal profiles, and in men, this can be higher levels of estrogen conversion from testosterone through the hormone conversion method called ‘aromatase’. Estrogen Dominance can cause a wide range of symptoms and we've outlined some common signs below:
- Weight gain/loss resistance, especially belly fat and water retention.
- Mood swings.
- Anxiety or depression with no clear trigger.
- Sleep disturbances such as insomnia or waking up too early.
- Decreased sex drive and libido in both female and males.
- Worsened PMS symptoms and Irregular Menstrual Cycle.
Lifestyle factors to keep estrogen levels happy.
In order to balance your hormones, it is important to take simple measures in your lifestyle that will support a healthy lifestyle. Here are some tips:
- Start with a healthy diet, eat plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean protein. A high fibre diet will aid in the detoxification of estrogen and excess cholesterol.
- Avoid highly processed foods. Watch out for trans fats and excessive sugar spikes as these can lead to an imbalance of estrogen in the body.
- Drink plenty of water – this helps assist with the detoxification processes after estrogen has been used and conjugated by our body!
- Exercise and movement. Sunlight in doses can also help.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Get enough sleep & try stress less too - it’s good for us all :)
Vitamin and Supplement recommendations to help lower and balance your Estrogen.
You can help balance your hormones by taking the following supplements:
- Venus E-TOX by ATP Science. This is a natural herbal complex that supports healthy estrogen levels and promotes detoxification in both female and males. Explore here.
- Estro Switch by Switch Nutrition. This natural supplement helps balance progesterone levels in men and women. Explore here.
- Zinc. Explore here.
- Magnesium. Explore here.
- Vitamin D. Explore here.
Estrogen Dominance is a real thing and its awareness in the medical community is steadily on the incline. Consumers and physicians are becoming more attuned to this necessary hormone, which can turn destructive if not kept under control. The best place to start treating your imbalance is with natural remedies like herbs and supplements that support healthy hormone levels. Also consider a hormone test and consultation with your doctor or practitioner.